Spring is certainly upon us. I’m celebrating the sprouts and blooms, and as usual, finding even more things to plant. (Trying to catch up with my grandmother, but she has a walled garden and I have elk and deer)
So I confess I don’t feel like I haven’t gotten as many projects ticked over from in-progress to the done pile this month. I did get my First Round Bracket/Team Sock Madness socks finished in time to go on to the next round. These certainly fit my spring theme with their bright colors and lace blooms.
Absolutely positively TSA worthy socks. (Kind of a pity we went electric and so now do more road trips than air trips in that regard.. pretty much the only downside so far)
Here’s the progress status on the WIP pile this month:
- One more chart done on the Hobbit Scarf (We found the ring!)
- Got my Sweater body done, next up a pair of sleeves!
- Bought the backing for my Knight’s Tour quilt.
I did take a day for baking after getting my new oven! (Woo!!!) and I’m going to try to squeak in the hand appliqué of my snowflake top before the end of the month, so I can tick that off my monthly goals, but while its been quite a bit of progress, it could use a few more finishes.
I may have mentioned before that I sometimes find thrift yarn shopping a bit fun. It is probably not super great for my stash and keeping organized. One of my prior buys had a bit of bulky yarn in it… which isn’t my typical use yarn and so it found itself filed in the same box as some others that might as well be called, “Interesting but, she’s just not that into you”. Its probably worth noting that my very first knitting project yarn was frogged and currently lives in this box, so its not a case of them being bad yarns per se.
One part of my new years resolution was to sort through this box and Knit It or Quit It. If the yarns don’t get knit (or at least project ideas picked for them) then its off to someone else.
And so with the trepidation of being only relatively certain the unlabeled bulky was wool… I set out to felt my first thing. Just a simple bowl//basket shape with some beaded fur held double at the edges to start. Then into the wash on hot with a pair of jeans….
I call it my Gothic Easter Bunny Basket. This one came out perfect (in my opinion) so fresh on the heels of my success I tried out a few more felted items using slip stitches and another yarn from the same thrift stash. And well… here’s the before and after shots.
(Yes it is upside down)
Not quite as sold on how these turned out, debating if I should try felting a bit more, or just give them a nice sweater shave…. Possibly the wool content was a bit more of a blend in these yarns.
There are a bit more of these yarns left, and if I can sort out where to get nice cork clog soles I’d totally want to try to make those. So back into the puzzle box for you bulky yarns!
I finished my qualifying round of Sock Madness socks. As is traditional when speed knitting.. the first finished photos may suffer from the lighting in the later hours when they were completed. So I took another photo today when there was a bit more sunshine.
Now I am working my way through the mountains and into the goblin kingdom on this months chart of the Hobbit scarf. (Kind of looking forward to finding the ring!)