Ok so for the first part of this post there’s going to be a bit more non-kniting/quilting stuff, so if you get bored or you just came for the crafts, scroll down to the quilt picture, and I won’t get offended, because frankly I can’t tell if you scrolled past or not anyway!
In the spirit of “out with it!” the news is… I got engaged on Valentine’s Day! (insert squeals and wedding march hums here). My fiancé and I have been together for quite some time, and have decided to formalize the situation with paperwork and pageantry. Because we have been together long enough that the only answer to the query of how long we have been together actually is, “long enough” we are planning to get married this year in a smaller ceremony with our parents and closest friends.
This means that I am now on a 6 months to wedding plan and making lists of things to do. Do not fear dear readers, I still think I will have time for updating my blog in my usual “sometime every month” schedule. But, it does bring me to the perspective portion of the blog.
I have been rather noticeably in a bit of a GO!GO!GO! rush mode as I make my list of all the things needing to get done in time for an August Wedding. And yesterday, after booking our photographer my fiancé (woo!) sweetly reminded me that in the past 10 days I had managed to settle on the date, book locations, and get the photographer. I had been spending all my time looking at the to-do portion, I hadn’t appreciated the scope of the done part. So I am passing it on, and telling you… take a moment to change the perspective, and look away from your to-do, and appreciate what you have finished.
And speaking of finished….. (way to segue there!)
I have finally finished the Star Trek Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt I first teased about in June of 2014. The quilting on this one is a clear indication of some attempts at something more than just stitch-in-the ditch. The central blocks are stitched in an echo around the Star Trek insignia, with the outside blues and reds in decorative horizontal and vertical stripes.
The backing and binding is a space/stars print with glow in the dark stars. (I did attempt to get a glow photo, but its not super great.) I used a different technique on the binding, that I’m sure has a real quilting name, but I’m calling it a fold over binding, instead of making the binding a separate piece. After quilting, the batting is trimmed to the edges of the top, and then the backing is folded over (at least twice to give a nice edge) and then seamed down.
This one is currently homeless. This quilt has found a home! The idea came from a commission request that fell through. Now down to 13 planned quilts on the idea board.