So I’ve had this yarn from the yarn shop where I learned to knit for some time. I believe I originally bought it oh about six years ago or so. Well I am out of blue thread for my other project so… time for more knitting.. and time to tackle something with counterpanes!
There were many to choose from but finally I settled on a three leaf counterpane pattern, originally seen here: http://www.knittingparadise.com/ (Scroll up for images) Through some alterations based on my trial square, this is what I ended up with:
Now as you can see from these two closer in views of the leaf section and the diamond section, I am not the greatest of fancy joiners, but I do think they look alright… just not very lacy.
So I think it turned out ok, and here’s what I did differently for anyone curious or wanting to replicate.
- I did a knit increase in my first knit stitch instead of a yarn over increase. I tried the yarn overs, but it just looked to loose and sloppy to me, so I went with the knit increase instead.
- My Row 15: Row 15 YO, (k1, yo) twice, k1, p4, SKP, k9, k2tog, p4, (k1, yo) twice, k2 — I felt that swapping two stitches to purl instead of knit made for a better transition.
- When you swap to the Diamond Point (included in the follow up post from the three leaf section) you need to add a simple knit across row so that your diamond point turns out purl side up as the right side. do not increase that row, as you should go into the Diamond Point section with an uneven set of stitches
- For Row Two in the second post its just: k2tog, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog — She corrects this in a later post on the thread, its just a duplicate in there in the original.
I finished it off with a simple double crochet row and then a scalloped crochet row (2 single crochet stitches, then 3 double crochet in the next stitch and repeat) because three skeins meant I was pretty much done with just a 9 pane blanket. Seriously…. this is all the yarn left:
So if I had my life to knit over so to speak… here’s what I would do differently:
- Buy about 4 more skeins of yarn so that I could knit up 12 counterpanes, which would leave me with all diamond edges instead of some leafy edges, and an all around better size. (Nothing wrong with a 9 pane size, but 12 would be even better for the repeats imo)
- I’d finish it off with a border of leaves, which I figured I could snag from another counterpane pattern such as the one here: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/counterpanes/rosedale-counterpane.htm
I greatly enjoyed how it turned out… so much that I’m actually contemplating making something more full size at some point, perhaps as a gift.